BRINGING OVER 3.2 MILLION DIVVY TRIPS TO LIFE
Explore the data to see how Chicago gets around by bike!
The submission period for the 2015 Divvy Data Challenge is now closed. Please check back for information on how you can vote on the finalist entries and attend our awards ceremony.
To celebrate the first time Divvy trip data for an entire year (more than 3.2 million trips!) had been made publicly available, we encouraged all scientists, designers, students, civic minds, planners, and programmers to analyze and present this data in visually compelling ways.
We asked for visualizations that help us illustrate the answers to questions such as: Where are riders going? When are they going there? How far do they ride? What are top stations? What interesting usage patterns emerge? What can the data reveal about how Chicago gets around on Divvy?
Past winners of the 2014 Divvy Data Challenge can be viewed here.
Judging and Prizes
Winning entries in each category will receive:
- An XBOX One
- An XBOX Kinect
- A Windows Phone
- BizSpark software package including full-featured software development tools and server products Microsoft
- Your entry featured in a full-page ad in RedEye and on the Divvy Website
- Gift certificates for two Divvy Memberships
- A Divvy t-shirt and five 24-Hour Passes to share with friends and family
Winners will be selected for each of the following categories:
- Best Overall Visualization:the entry that has the best overall aesthetics, provides insight, creatively illustrates the data, and is easy to understand.
- Most Comprehensive:the entry that displays and shares the data most fully, while still being easy to understand.
- Most Beautiful:the entry that is the most visually appealing in its illustration.
- Most Creative:the entry that visualizes the data in the most new, different, and innovative way.
- Most Insightful:the entry that reveals the most, or provides the most intelligent and surprising learnings from the trip data.
All entries will first be reviewed by a panel of Divvy judges, then narrowed down to a group of finalists. These finalist entries will be hosted on RedEyeChicago.com, where the public can cast a vote for their favorite visualizations.
Each trip is anonymized and includes:
- Trip start day and time
- Trip end day and time
- Trip start station
- Trip end station
- Rider type (Member or 24-Hour Pass User)
- If a Member trip, it will also include Member’s gender and year of birth
Click the button on the right side of the page to download the full data set.
How to Enter
Please email your entry to . If your entry is in the form of a digital document, please attach it to the email. If your entry is hosted on your personal website or on a third-party website (such as YouTube or Vimeo), please paste the URL in the body of the email.
Click here to view the official rules of the Divvy Data Challenge.
If you have any questions, please email Data@DivvyBikes.com.
the data file
In partnership with: