We at Motivate International Inc., along with our subsidiaries and affiliates (“Motivate”), respect your concerns about privacy. Motivate operates the Divvy bicycle sharing system for the City of Chicago. This Privacy Notice applies to (i) the Divvy website, available at www.divvybikes.com (the “Site”), (ii) the on-street kiosks associated with the Divvy bicycle sharing program, (iii) our customer call center and (iv) your use of or other interaction with our bicycle sharing programs (the “Service”).
This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect about consumers, how we use the information, with whom we share it and the choices available to you regarding our use of the information. We also describe the measures we take to protect the security of the information and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
Information We Collect
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address and telephone number);
- date of birth;
- login credentials;
- payment information (such as your payment card number, expiration date, authorization number or security code, delivery address and billing address);
- your geographic location, in connection with your use of the Site or the Service;
- photographs, comments and other content you provide.
- In addition, when you use the Service, we may obtain system data, including information such as your geographic location, trip duration, start and stop time and date, start and end station name, station ID number, station latitude and longitude, bicycle ID number and user type.
- Information We Collect By Automated Means
- When you visit our Site, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web beacons and web server logs. The information we collect in this manner includes IP address, unique device identifier, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken on our Site, and dates and times of visits to the Site. A “cookie” is a file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server. Through these automated collection methods, we obtain “clickstream data,” which is a log of the links and other content on which a visitor clicks while browsing the Site. As the visitor clicks through the Site, a record of the action may be collected and stored. We may link certain data elements we have collected through automated means, such as your browser information, with other information we have obtained about you to let us know, for example, whether you have opened an email we sent to you. Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Site. When you use the Site, neither we nor any third parties collect personal information about your online activities, over time and across third-party websites. Our Site is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers.
- We may use third-party analytics services on the Site, such as those of Google Analytics. The information obtained for this purpose (including your IP address and other information collected by automated means) will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. To learn about opting out of Google Analytics, please click here.
- The providers of third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our Site, such as social media sharing tools, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information is collected directly by the providers of the features and is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers. To the extent permitted by applicable law, Motivate is not responsible for these providers’ information practices.
How We Use The Information We Collect
We may use the information described above to:
- Provide products and services to you, such as to allow you to obtain a bicycle
- Create and manage your account;
- Process your payments;
- Send you promotional materials and other communications;
- Communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, special events, contests, sweepstakes, programs, offers, surveys and market research;
- Promote government or bicycling-related services and programs;
- Respond to your inquiries;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; monitoring, enhancing and improving our systems and services; managing our communications; analyzing our products and customer base; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
- Verify your identity;
- Transition from one operator to another (for example, if Motivate ceases to operate the Site or the Service);
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies.
In addition, we use information collected through cookies, web beacons, pixels, web server logs and other automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Site, (ii) delivering content tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Site, and (iii) managing our Site and other aspects of our business.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Information We Share
We do not disclose personal information we collect about you, except as described in this Privacy Notice. We may share your personal information with service providers who perform services on our behalf. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. If you enroll using a corporate membership, we may share your first and last name with the company to which the code was issued for the purposes of verifying that you are an associate of that company. In addition, we may share your information with (i) our subsidiaries and affiliates, (ii) joint marketing partners or other co-branded third parties, (iii) municipalities and other relevant government agencies associated with the Service, and (iv) sponsors (such as employers that provide discounted rates for employees).
We also may share information with other public and private organizations for statistical and research purposes. We reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
In addition, we may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, (iii) to enforce or exercise our rights under our agreements with users or to investigate or defend against any action or allegation against us, or (iv) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we collect about you, such as how we communicate with you. To ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as indicated in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Privacy Notice. You can also unsubscribe from our mailing lists by following the “Unsubscribe” link in our emails.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Links To Third-Party Websites, Apps and Services
For your convenience and information, our Site may provide links to third-party websites, apps and services that may be operated by companies not affiliated with Motivate. These companies may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any non-Motivate websites, apps or services.
Updates To Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. For significant changes, we will notify you by posting a prominent notice on the Site indicating at the top of the Notice when it was most recently updated.
How To Contact Us
Motivate International Inc.
Attention: Legal Department
5202 Third Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11220